Do NOT lose your files anymore! Keep track of the history change, save to the cloud and be safe. Here you are going to learn simple tips to become a NINJA using Github and the command line.
1. Go to github.com.
Sign In or Sign Up.
2. Click the button Start a project in the home page.
- Choose a Repository Name, the URL for your project will be github.com/USER-NAME/REPOSITORY-NAME
- Click the button Create repository
Congratulations! Your repository is ready to receive the files that you will never lose anymore.
3. Install Git (If you don’t have it).
- Arch linux:
pacman -S git
- Windows: Download and install https://git-for-windows.github.io/
- Mac: Go to App Store and Install XCode
4. Go to your folder and add files
Open the terminal or command line tool available on your system.
Type the commands bellow to go to the folder where you want your files to live in:
dirlist the files and directories.
cd FOLDER_NAMEopen the folder.
cd ..go up 1 folder level.
Clone the repository to your PC:
git clone https://github.com/YOUR_USER_NAME/REPOSITORY_NAME
uhuhuh Now Save or Add any file you want to the folder.
5. See the changes:
6. Add the changes to commit:
git add .
Don’t forget the dot .
7. Create the commit
git commit -m 'What did I... '
Write a short message saying what you have changed, Try to keep a good history log.
8. Publish! Save your files and changes to the cloud.
9. Keep your local version update:
10. Go sleep better knowing that your files are safe.
Want to learn more advanced stuff? Click here to become a NINJA.